UMLV Summer School 2023
Understanding and Modelling Linguistic Variability
Linguistic variability comes in different forms, ranging from differences between individual speakers to linguistic diversity in terms of phylogeny or structure. Examining linguistic variation allows us to better understand what constitutes linguistic knowledge and the phenomenon of language.
Linguistics exhibits a variety of subdisciplines that have developed very different methodologies and theoretical models to capture, measure, and classify linguistic variability. The summer school aims to bring different strands of research together, including psycholinguistic, neurolinguistic, computational, and various theoretical perspectives (both formal and functional). It provides a space for students and early career researchers from various fields of linguistics to learn about different approaches to linguistic variability and likewise provides a format to connect on a personal level and exchange ideas.
- date: August 21 – 25, 2023
- location: University of Potsdam, Campus Griebnitzsee, Germany
- format: in-person event, live stream of workshops via Zoom
- language of instruction: English
- costs: 45€
- applications: extended to May 31, 2023
- notification of acceptance: June 15, 2023
- registration: June 30, 2023
- summer school: August 21-25, 2023
- Prof. Kriszta Szendrői (University of Vienna, AT) – „tba“
- Prof. João Veríssimo (University of Lisbon, PT) – „Modelling within- and between-person Variability in Language Processing: Statistical Methods and Measures“
- Prof. Patti Adank (University College London, UK) – „Neural Bases of Processing Variation and Degradation in Speech“
- Dr. Theresa Biberauer (Churchill College Cambridge, UK) – „Morphosyntactic Variation: A neo-emergentist generative Perspective on Acquisition, Variation and Change“
- Dr. Arpita Bose (University of Reading, UK) – „Adult Neurological Language Disorders and Bilingualism as a Window to Understand Linguistic Variability“
- Prof. Martin Hilpert (University of Neuchâtel, CH) – „Constructional Change: Investigating Variability over Time“
- Prof. Lena Jäger (University of Zurich, CH) – „Generating human-like Scanpaths in Reading using Deep Neural Sequence Models“
- Prof. Muriel Norde (Humboldt University Berlin, DE) – „The Making of Words: An Introduction to Construction Morphology“
- Prof. Florian Schwarz (University of Pennsylvania, USA) – „Conducting Web-based experiments with PCIbex“
To make the Summer School more interactive, the participants can present a poster on a topic related to the UMLV Summer School. By presenting a poster, participants will have the opportunity to discuss their research with a variety of people, including the keynote speakers, the instructors, the summer school attendees, and researchers from four collaborative research centres (Berlin, Cologne, Potsdam, Saarbrücken).
The UMLV Summer School is going to be an in-person event, live stream of workshops via Zoom. Therefore, in addition to the full on-site experience, we offer online attendance that grants you access to the workshops as well as all the keynote talks.
Note that while we aim to make the online experience as interactive as possible by offering a dedicated online Q&A with instructors at the end of the sessions, online attendees do not have access to the poster session, nor other socializing and networking activities such as a science networking forum and evening buffets. To make the most of the UMLV Summer School, we encourage on-site participation.
Participation includes three steps:
- application via form
- notification of acceptance and payment
The application process is closed!
Notifications of acceptance and further payment details will be sent out by June 15, 2023. The registration deadline is June 30, 2023.
If you choose to participate via Zoom only, we will contact you with further details and the Zoom links shortly before the summer school.
Größere Karte anzeigen
University of Potsdam, Campus Griebnitzsee, House 6, August-Bebel-Str. 89, 14482 Potsdam
Travel and Transport
For ecological reasons, we recommend coming to the UMLV Summer School by public transport. The venue can be easily reached from both Potsdam and Berlin:
From Potsdam Central Station to S Griebnitzsee:
- S-Bahn S7 (every 10 minutes)
- RB 22 and RB 23 (once an hour)
- Bus Number 694 (once an hour)
From Berlin Central Station to S Griebnitzsee:
- S-Bahn S7 (every 10 minutes)
- RB 23 (once an hour)
- RE 1 to S Wannsee, S7 to S Griebnitzsee (once an hour)
Berlin, Potsdam and Brandenburg established a cooperation of their public transportation system called the Verkehrsverbund Berlin Brandenburg (VBB). Using the website of the VBB, you can find the fastest connection to all stops in the whole area of Berlin and Brandenburg.
Public Transportation in Potsdam:
Public Transportation in Berlin:
Participants are expected to arrange their own accommodation. Here are some recommendations:
Hostels & Hotels in Potsdam:
- central portal for accommodation in Potsdam: http://www.potsdamtourismus.de/unterkuenfte-gastronomie/
- Quartier Potsdam Hostel: https://www.potsdam-hostel.com/
- DJH Youth Hostel Potsdam: https://www.jugendherberge.de/en/youth-hostels/potsdam-671/portrait/
- B&B Hotel Potsdam: https://www.hotel-bb.com/de/hotel/potsdam
- Altstadt Hotel Potsdam: https://altstadt-hotel-potsdam.de/
- Acora Potsdam: https://www.novum-hotels.com/en/acora-apartment-hotel-potsdam
- Hotel Mercure: https://mercure.accor.com/de/deutschland/index.shtml
- Apartmenthaus Kaiser Friedrich: https://apartmenthotel-kaiser-friedrich.de/
Hostels & Hotels Berlin:
- central portal for accommodation in Berlin: https://www.berlin.de/tourismus/unterkunft/
- online room-finding service of the Berlin Tourism Office: https://www.visitberlin.de/en/hotels-berlin?tid=1319
- St. Christopher Berlin Mitte: https://www.st-christophers.co.uk/berlin/mitte-hostel/
- Circus Hostel: https://circus-berlin.de/?lang=de
- The Student Hotel Berlin: https://www.thesocialhub.co/de/berlin-mitte/
- A&O Berlin Mitte: https://www.aohostels.com/de/berlin/berlin-mitte/
Assistance and Childcare
The venue of the summer school is barrier-free. Do you need mobility assistance on the day of the event? Please do not hesitate to contact us.
There is an app available navigating you around campus with maximized accessibility: https://www.uni-potsdam.de/en/multimedia/projects/accessibility/accessible-campus-navigation
Do you need assistance with childcare? Further information is coming soon.
Please feel free to contact our summer school committee in case of questions!
Please visit this website for more details and updates coming soon!